Monday, April 1, 2013

A weekend of decadent food!

It was a great weekend!

Friday, I was in a healthy mood and made super good tostadas...  low carb tortillas baked until crunchy, topped with "taco" meat, black soy beans, avocado, salsa and sour cream.  I will for sure make this again!
 
I took a few bites before I remembered to take a picture!
We fell into the trap of eating badly all weekend since we knew we were going to be bad on Sunday anyway.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

It all started on Saturday with everyone being too hungry to wait for me to cook something.  So, Mexican food to go it was!   The place on the corner has the BEST carne Asada Frys anywhere!  Frys with guacamole, sour cream, cheese, salsa and lots of meat.  
Easter morning was an "Almond Ring" danish from Trader Joes....  disappointing.  I thought it would have a lot of almond paste inside, but it only had almonds sprinkled on it.  Oh well, the mimosas made up for it!
I made deviled eggs for a snack while the ham was cooking and found a DOUBLE YOLK EGG!!!  So neat, I think it is good luck.
Double Yolks!
Easter dinner came out very very good.  Every recipe was from Julia Child's cookbook.  I cooked my ham in Madeira wine and lots of veggies and herbs.  It made a very moist tasty ham!   I also made Gratin of Potatoes and braised leeks.  I can't believe how good leeks are cooked this way!  They just melt in your mouth.  I cooked them in a Bechemel sauce.
Gratin of potatoes

My favorite cookbook!
Of course, everything was topped off with Springtime desserts.  Lemon Bars and Strawberry shortcake!    Then we all had to go lay down for a while.   The Bostons were very happy, they got lots of little bits and pieces, and helped me clean a few plates.  Such helpful dogs!

I finished "How to be an American Wife"
It was an EXCELLENT book, 2 thumbs up!!  
I WISH she would write another book!
Seriously good!

NOW I am reading "We bought a Zoo" by Benjamin Mee.

Off to read it now!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment